Thursday 19 September 2013

Day 1362 (18/09/2013)

Years ago I had a staff appraisal when my group Inspector told me that my problem was that I was always "Tilting At Windmills". From my expression he guessed that this went straight over my head, so he said "Don Quixote".


It was clear this conversation was going nowhere so he eventually said that my problem was that I kept picking battles with everyone, even when there wasn't a battle. I slightly agreed with him but didn't care, saying that sometimes people need to speak up for things that they knew to be wrong.

When I left the meeting I went back to my crew mate for the day, Tim Campbell, a graduate who was never going to be a proactive policeman, who asked me how it went, I said "Tilting At Windmills" he just smiled and said that Don Quixote summed me up well.

I was obviously off school the day they did that bit of literature history during my CSE English.

Anyway today I spoke to someone at the Glatonbury Festival who clarified a little discussion / argument I was having with Nick Gargan the Chief Constable, over who had paid the £15,000 for the 11,000 water bottles, 4,000 torches & 3,000 phone pouches handed out by them for free to festival goers.


The Police said that the Festival had paid for them and that no actual police or tax payers money was used.

I thought it would be strange for the Glastonbury Festival to do this given that stall holders who had paid to be on the site, were selling these items, so surely by handing out 1000's of these things for free would not be good for their business.

The Glastonbury Festival seem to agree with me and it would appear that the police won't be handing these out again. They also didn't like the way that the police were saying that the Festival had paid for them and they will be receiving a letter to explain their displeasure.

So anyway happy to still be Tilting At Windmills.



No comments:

Post a Comment