Sunday 17 February 2013

Day 1148 & 1149 (16 & 17/02/2013)

I met Thomas at Oxford last night and then drove to a hotel which was on route for his photo assignment in Royston on Saturday. We had a nice relaxing time having a pint (or two) and a meal.


On Saturday morning after a very big breakfast we drove over to Royston but had time to kill, so went via Buntingford to see the house I lived in for the first 6 or 7 years.



I don't think I've been back here since around 1974 and it was very different from how I remember. It was funny to see our old house has two stone lions outside the front door. Clearly this is instead of a Blue Plaque for "Brian The Lion".

Whilst Thomas went to the Football I went to see our old neighbour Carol, the only woman I always refer to as "Aunty" despite her not actually being my aunty. Our families were so close in those days (I know we were neighbours so physically we were close but all of my memories from those days were of all of us not just our family) and despite not seeing much of Steven & Gavin over the last 35years they will always be people I think of fondly. When I was stood in Carols kitchen I saw her old biscuits tin, which I instantly remembered from the early 1970's, when only a few years old.  


This most be a sign of how often I ate their biscuits as when I texted a copy to my brother he didn't remember it.

I picked Thomas up from the football, to hear that it had been a match that had everything; a brilliant goal, a sending off, a very nasty injury, the game being suspended and then a minor riot.  To be fair Thomas had left when the atmosphere was tense and people were squaring up to each other as the match had been called off and he needed to edit and send off his the photos to the newspaper.


Actually we only heard that the club house had been a bit smashed up later when my mum phoned to ask if we were OK as she had heard from my Aunty Carol about the trouble.

Then a long rive home and no Sunday Roast as I have loads of work to do so may have to phone up for a pizza instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment