Friday 11 January 2013

Day 1110 (09/01/2013)

Today I was busy but I had two main thoughts.

The first was with regard to the size of toilet rolls.  My wife had been shopping and bought the usual multi pack of very nice toilet rolls from Asda, so I was restocking the basket in the on-suite. When I first bought this basket about 14years ago it was about an inch higher than two rolls of toilet paper, now it as about 3 inches higher.

So either the metal basket has grown, which seems unlikely or toilet rolls are being made narrower, meaning that the manufacturer can get more toilet rolls from each batch of paper, so more money for them. That seems more likely.

In around 1985 whilst on duty one night walking round Bridgwater I visited either a McDonalds or KFC as we often got some free chips if there were any left over at the end of the night. The manager then explained that whatever chain he was linked to had just changed from serving its fries (chips to us in the UK) in paper to bags to cardboard bags, which stood-up slightly and was cut in a way to show off loads of chips. He had worked out that by changing from one bag to another they were getting between 1 and 2 more servings out of each large catering bags of uncooked fries.

It was only when he explained how many packets of fries that an average branch sells do you realise how these these extra pennies soon add up to many of thousands of £'s.

My other thought for the day is how much I really enjoy listening to Max Boyce. Despite not have many great memories of living in Wales I have always loved Max Boyce. My favourite joke of all time is one of his, about Gareth Edwards, which unless you are sporty and at least in your mid to late 40's will mean nothing to you.

Finding the link for Max Boyce to put on here has shown me that his is on tour and in Yeovil in a couple of months, so I may go along with my Dad.




No comments:

Post a Comment