Tuesday 23 October 2012

Day 1032 (23/10/2012)

Modern life is so much easier at times but sometimes things really piss me off (that's probably not a surprise to anyone that knows me). Over the last few years I have always bought mine and everyone else's car tax (or Vehicle Excise Licence to be completely correct) online, it is so easy and saves me queuing in the post office.

I have been trying to get the car tax online for Thomas's car as it runs out at the end of the month but as our insurance runs out on the same day it won't let me, even though I have paid to renew the car insurance on four cars; However the Motor Insurance Database will not be updated until two weeks after our renewal, just in case we don't renew it or cancel it.

So the useful advice from my insurer and the Motor Insurance Bureau, who supply the details to DVLA of vehicles on the Motor Insurance Database, was that I should print off a copy of my insurance certificate and go to the post office, stand in line and buy the tax disc for real rather than online.

I pointed out to my insurance company and the Motor Insurance Bureau (I am one of those annoying people that insists on telling people when a system is wrong) that the problem of not updating the system for two weeks in case I cancel my insurance but letting my print off a copy of my insurance certificate is that I can still cancel my insurance once I have printed off the insurance certificate but now I have to go to the post office and stand in line.

It is at times like these that I actually admire the tolerance of Americans. The fact that there are well over 270 million guns owned by civilians (not including the 4 million guns owned by the military & law enforcement) in the country but only around 10,000 firearms murders a year shows their patience & tolerance. I reckon I could easily kill that many myself if I had unlimited access to guns & ammo. Obviously I wouldn't do that as its very wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment