Thursday 6 September 2012

Day 982 - 985 (03 - 06/09/2012)

So Saturday afternoon I got changed & was just going to go & cut the grass when my leg felt painful and I started to feel like crap so laid down after taking tablets but unfortunately it was too late and within a few hours I was a shacking wreck with my leg fully infected & inflamed again.

I tried to use my stock of tablets for a couple of days but on Monday gave in and went to hospital where it looked like I was likely to be admitted for a week for more intravenous antibiotics. Luckily we had a sympathetic Doctor who was able to give me some different drugs and allowed me to receive them as an outpatient, returning daily to be stocked up on more antibiotics.

It was all just about perfect apart from the fact that apparently I'm very difficult to find veins on. The first Dr made attempts in both arms before settling on putting a cannula on the back on my right hand.


Then just before we could go they decided to do some more blood tests but couldn't use the cannula I already had as I had just had the antibiotics. So the new Dr made several very painful attempts in my left hand to find another vein. The first attempt was into my thumb, then the knuckle on my hand then thankfully my wife suggested they fit another cannula to my left hand and use that. It was so painful I nearly passed out but thankfully we got there in the end.


So back home, covered in bruises and feeling like a pin-cushion and recovering with my leg still red, swollen & very painful but over the next few days it went down and was better. The black felt tip was put there by the Dr to easily see if it had got any worse.


On Monday it was clear to me that I would not be able to run my course in London next week and quite frankly taking this as another wake up call to put my life / work balance on the right level I decided to cancel nearly all of my courses over the next few months. You would not believe how much better this made me feel even though it has undoubtedly cost me quite a lot of money already. I shall probably not do much more training anymore, time to concentrate on family time instead.

Anyway the boys are now in Barcelona, visiting the Nou Camp.





No comments:

Post a Comment