Friday 1 June 2012

Day 888 (01/06/2012)

Where is the year going, it's June already, how did that happen.

Went to the gym first thing this morning and felt hungry and knackered ever since.

So this week I have gone to the gym 5 times and spent 45minutes on the tread machine (it would be a running machine but I walk and don't run), 45minutes on a bicycle, 45minutes on the cross-trainer, lifted loads of weights and swam 50 lengths of the pool.

Will have the weekend off but going again on Monday.

So much work in at the moment but must spend most of the weekend sorting out the garden.

Today's photo of a young & slim me, taken on a very hot day practicing for the Ten Tors, walking across Dartmoor in 1984


So much easier than the actual Ten Tors when I spent over an hour lying on a medical bed on the Saturday night having my feet covered in medical tape to keep the skin together for the walk on the Sunday. I think I walked for at least a few hours just crying with the pain. The thought of stopping or saying no was never an option (don't ask).

When we finished as a team we got our medals from some general. I'm in the middle in the below photo.


After we finished I sat down and was holding my taped up feet as the pain was still so intense, then the ligaments went in one of my legs and I couldn't walk at all.
 

I had to sit in a bath for a few hours to try to get the sticky medical tape off. Obviously it took most of the skin with it and I think it took another three months before all of my nails grew back on my toes.

Oh the good old days. They weren't, they were crap in so many ways but I do have a few good memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment