Thursday 7 July 2011

Day 547 to & 557 (27/06 - 07/07/2011)

Well an unexpected break from my blog, my apologies but I have a fairly reasonable excuse.

Monday I woke with the worlds worst flu, shivering & aching all day in bed. Tuesday was much the same but by Wednesday the flu had just about passed.

Unfortunately by this time the virus that I have in my leg was fully inflamed and the worst it had ever been.

Just to say about 6 yrs ago I was walking thru wet grass in Ilminster, when Kelly was playing football and I felt something bite my right ankle. Since then whenever I am unwell this virus flares up, so I have antibiotics at home to control it.

By Thursday my leg was so inflamed & painful we decided that the the hospital was probably worth a visit. Being unable to walk from the car park my wife had to get a wheelchair to help me get into casualty, where I nearly passed-out when being seen by the triage nurse, so got to lie down on a trolley for the next few hours until being admitted to hospital so that I could have intravenous antibiotics & other tests.

I haven't been to hospital for a few years now. It is fair to say as a family we have been really lucky with our healthy, especially given the state of the people I was sharing my ward with. I felt a bit of a fraud amongst some seriously ill people.

But why do hospitals wake you up at 6am. Fair enough in my case it was the time for my antibiotics but what a time to be woken up to have all your tests done, it seemed a bit cruel, why not start the day at 10am, much more civilised.

Anyway after over a week without my phone or the internet etc I needed to make a few calls for work. Most times it would have just been a slight inconvience to take a few weeks off but this has caused me to cancelled two courses which had been planned for a long time, so might have cost me a fair few quid.

So having my phone I thought I would take a few pictures for the blog. This is my bad leg, which by this stage had improved loads and was no longer painful unless touched (when it really hurt).


Obviously you can only guess how bad it was a few days earlier when it was really inflamed. It was so painful :-(

I had also had a few problems with the needle thing for my intravenous antibiotics, so had to have it changed from one arm to the other.


I also had so many blood tests that both of my arms are still like bruised pin cushions.

I appreciate I am quite lucky as at the end of the day I have a bad leg, so what. My thoughts are with others who actually have really problems.

If nothing else my new diet has started well, having hardly eaten over the last 10days I am a little bit lighter than I was last month. I have lost my appetite and will take this as an opportunity to start a fresh with food and eat less.

I have also decided to cut down on the amount of work that I am undertaking. Whats the point in working yourself into a grave, so time for days off & lunchtimes (when I will go cycling).

This could be a blessing in disguise, though a F**KING painful one.

Anyway time to catch up, 528 e-mails that need reading, well maybe just deleting and a few bemused clients to contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment